Saturday, March 04, 2006

Out with the old, In with the new (and cool)


So if you read Marie's blog, you know that it's finally happened. I got a new car. It's been 13 yrs since I got my last one, and it owed me nothing. I had been planning to replace my old car this year sometime, but was looking for 4-6 months from now. The clutch has been getting worse and worse, and the battery was dying as well. I got an estimate from the dealer and they said it would be anywhere from $300 - $1200 to repair the clutch. The car is good condition was maybe worth $1000, so, it was hard to swallow that kind of repair bill (as Marie helped me come to realize).

So we made plans to go to the Saturn dealership on Wednesday. Wednesday morning came and the car would not start - battery needed a jump (ok it was like 6 degrees but the timing still stunk). Then I couldn't get it into gear at all. Not reverse, not 1st through 5th. Luckily, I was parked on a hill and was able to get it to roll backwards enough to turn around the neighbor's driveway. Then I got it rolling forward and was able to shift without the clutch, so I made it to work.

Marie and the girls met me there at noon, to follow me to the dealership (in case I died on the way) and guess what. I had to shift out of the gear I was parked in so I could back up. I could not get into reverse, or any other gear. I fought with it for about 5 min, and somehow managed. I had one more incident on way to the dealership, but made it there in one piece. I parked the car and told Marie "I don't care if I get a new car today, but I'm not driving this one back."

I know on Marie' blog, she gave you the details of the time at the dealership, so I won't hit on that again. We picked out a new, dark grey, Saturn ION. Stick shift, AC, cruise, CD player, power windows and locks, and 1 yr of OnStar. So the car is among, other things, a phone. Oh yes. It also has a sunroof. It rides smooth and quiet, has nice pick up, and it has a clutch that works. I'm in great shape for not having it break down on me for anything for another 8-9 years if history repeats itself.

Oh, and Marie even drove it (with a little prodding from me).

So, thanks, Hon, for helping make it possible and kicking me in the pants when I needed it. It is a cool car.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you finally made the jump. Sorry I haven't kept in touch. But I'm still out here.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home