Saturday, January 21, 2006

Look, Kids... Big Ben, Parliament...


Why is it that kids will find a video/show they like, and then watch it over and over and over again?

For example: Our kids had us Tivo 'Drake And Josh Go Hollywood' about two weeks ago. Since then we have seen it about 867 times. They seem just as excited each time they watch it. They even point out things to us each time. Weren't they paying attention the last time?

We have a lot of movies, but usually if we find one we like, we watch it every year or so. Certainly not every two hours.

Maybe it has something to do with how TV uses repetition to help children learn. On Dora The Explorer, Dora uses a map to help her find things. He sings the following song:
If there's a place you got to go
I'm the one you need to know
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
If there's a place you got to get
I can get you there I bet
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'm the Map
I'M THE MAAAAAAAAP!

To which Marie and I always ask each other "Did you know he was the map? I wasn't sure." Kids haven't just learned that song, they now have it embedded under their skin (or at least I do).

In National Lampoon's European Vacation (which sucked as a movie btw) Clark is driving a roundabout in downtown London and can't get left. He keeps pointing out Big Ben and Parliament. I feel like that....

2 Comments:

Blogger nic said...

I feel your pain. Over the holidays I visited my brother and his family. His daughter got a Care Bears DVD for Christmas and I had to suffer watching it at least seven times in three days. Ditto for his son who got Charlie and the Chocolate factory. Danny Elfman's circus music and Jonny Depp's helium infected voice wake me three days strait.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Marie Rossiter said...

Come on, hon. You know you secretly love these shows...There's a certain comfort level to repetition, right? LOL

Just think, babe. In a few years, we'll be worrying not only about what they're watching, but with whom they're watching it!! NO!

I love ya.

HB

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home